BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Blogger Templates »

Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Why France made me cranky today."

--a public transportation nightmare--
by Megan Bauer

So, today, I got on the bus as usual, and was riding along happily keeping half an eye open for my stop, when I felt a disturbance in the force.  I looked up to see the electronic sign that announces the bus stops said, "bus en deviation".

That happens sometimes in Soyaux, though, because there is a lot of construction there.  Usually they just go around the block to another stop right near the usual one.  2 extra minutes, tops.  No big deal.

So imagine my horror as my bus driver completely skips an entire section of the route.  I stayed on the bus, hoping that he wasn't just going rogue and would, in fact, somehow go to all the stops he was supposed to, until he announced "last stop!" and I had to get off the bus.

So I got on the other bus, going back the other way, cursing and mumbling "this is a nightmare!" under my breath.  Armed this time with the knowledge that the STGA was apparently playing a gigantic trick on us, I took action and asked the bus driver if he was going to stop at my stop.  "Oh, no, we're just skipping that section of the route and going up and down the main street.  There's too much construction."



So, not only were they just entire skipping sections of the route, there was no announcement, no sign up...we were just expected to know somehow, by a kind of magical, bus passenger osmosis.  The bus driver gave me directions, I walked for like 10 minutes, and finally arrived, 30 minutes into my 45 minute class.  I bet the teacher was thrilled!

1 comment:

  1. oh man i feel your pain. the bus system is so hideous in my town - deleted arrêts, no coherent schedule, bus drivers getting off the bus randomly and smoking for 5 minutes before continuing the route.... i have an ongoing word doc on my phone called "things i hate about le bus" that i furiously type into every time i'm on the bus and something goes wrong. i recently imported it onto my computer and it's 2.5 pages long. eek!

    ReplyDelete