BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Blogger Templates »

Friday, March 11, 2011

Cultural ambassadorship, live and in color

I have these two conversations so many times in France, I'm tempted to have little cards printed up that I can hand out to people.

Conversation #1:
French Speaker: So, where are you from?
Me: The United States.
FS: Yeah, but like where?
Me: Washington State.  On the West Coast.
FS: *blank look*
Me:  You know...near Seattle?
FS:  Oh, YEAH!!!  GREY'S ANATOMY!!!!!

*I have had this same conversation in America, except people usually reference Twilight instead.

Conversation #2:
*French person finds out my name, either by asking or looking at my passport*
"Bauer?!  Like Jack Bauer!!!!!"

*I have always, always wanted to respond to that with a deadpan "he's my uncle" but never quite had the guts.

They said I was coming over here partially to be a "cultural ambassador", so there you go.  Grey's Anatomy and 24.  I think that's exactly what they meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment